Thursday, October 15, 2009

I’m Down (Memoir) Blog 6

The story is filled with irony and an example of this is Mishna’s father’s sudden flow of income. As Mishna spends more time with her preppy friends, she begins to want more in life. Her father (after being divorced for a number of years) beings to date a rich black women named Jackie who has a nerdy son. Mishna loves Jackie because she makes food and takes her skiing. At this point, the entire family is happy and doing well.

While at home, Mishna is told not to go into her dad’s office because he has delicate work in there. However, its Christmas and Mishna see’s Toy’s R Us bags and wants to see what she’s getting for Christmas. To her surprise, this is what she finds.

“I knew I had to be quick, and I past the washer and dryer to the pressboard door of the makeshift office that my dad spent so much time in. As I cracked open the door, I was immediately blinded by bright light. And when my eyes adjusted I saw that the floor of the ‘office’ was a forest of marijuana plants. Thirty or more marijuana plants in perfect rows with grow lights poised over them like it was time for their close-up… So that’s why Dad’s so happy and everything is taken care of, I thought. It wasn’t because Dad had gotten his shit together at all. He’d just gotten better at selling drugs. I thought about a series of items that had been around the house for as long as I could remember. The scale in Dad’s bedroom. The plastic baggies everywhere. The fact that we always had extra electronic equipment lying around that people had brought over… God, I felt so stupid. The anger welled up in my feet and worked its way up to my head, which I thought might pop off. And I started to cry. I stood there crying for a minute.”

Its really heartbreaking to see Mishna cry after she thinks that maybe things had just gotten better. This is another example of a serious and heavy event that adds to the plot and keeps the story interesting.

No comments: