Thursday, October 15, 2009

I’m Down (Memoir) Blog 7

As time passes, Mishna makes more and more friends at her rich school. Because of her circumstances, people feel badly for her and often invite her to their house so they can take care of the “poor kid”. Mishna of course can’t care less and loves going to people’s houses. Going to sleepovers gave her a break from her family. (Her father remarried to a 24 year old black women with 2 children, the eldest being four).

“Sleepovers were like minivactions for me. I got to step out of my family responsibilities and into my friends’ homes where I was catered to like a crippled person. Dad wasn’t in the habit of asking if he could make me something to eat, or if I wanted him to rent me something while he was at the video store. In fact, the last time I’d had Zwena over, he got her to clean the kitchen after I made dinner.”

When Mishna gets invited to a seventh-grade sleepover, she is disappointed when she finds out who’s house its at. A girl named Oksana whose mom is a chilled artist who makes interesting sculptures.

“The lure of Oksana’s was that she had the most lax parents of all my friends-when she was staying with her mom, the artist. By the way, her mom’s art was intricately hand-beaded penis sculptures. The whole of her house from top to bottom was beaded penises in various stages of construction. You couldn’t look and not see a beaded penis…”

If this didn’t make for a funny story, Mishna and her friends trying to summon the devil is.

“Marni was giving Eileen the world’s most boring tarot card reading and I was designing a city in my mind made out of toothpicks. That’s when Lilith had an idea. She closed her spell book and said in a really creepy voice, ‘Hey guys, let’s try to summon the devil.’ The air in the guesthouse changed, and suddenly the party came to life. ‘How do we do that?’ Marni asked. ‘I have a spell right here,’ Lilith said. ‘A conjuring spell’… I was beyond skeptical about Lilith’s magic abilities, but after The Exorcist. Anything concerning the devil creeped me out… We got some chalk and candles and sauntered over to the church parking lot across the street… Lilith drew a pentagram on the pavement, and Oksana decorated the middle of the pentagram with one of her mom’s penis statues.”

I found this part hilarious, I mean, what kid hasn’t tried summoning the devil? Maybe not as extreme as having a conjuring spell and decorating a pentagram with penises but I can somewhat relate. Its interesting stories like these that keep the reader interested. I’ll have to admit, I was reading pretty intensely to find out whether or not the spell worked (which it didn’t). However, this is a very key story because it sets a chain of events that change Mishna’s life for the better.

No comments: